Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pipes, a Fiddle and Two Left Feet

Three Irish students perform traditional Irish music.
(Left to right: Zelda, Fiona, Luke)

In my first post, I wrote of traditional Irish music but it wasn’t until this past week that I discovered what traditional music really means.

Along with my class, I went to Culturlann na Heireann, an Irish cultural center, to listen to Irish music and learn Irish dances. I don’t know for sure what I was expecting but I know that I was not expecting the musicians and dancers to be younger than me…

The youngest, Luke, was only 17 years old and played the most complex instrument I have ever seen. Not only was the instrument complex, I still can’t even pronounce the name, the Uillean pipes. I prefer the simple name of the elbow pipes.

He attempted to explain the process of playing the pipes and I think as a group we were all in even more awe of how beautifully he played after hearing the complexity of the instrument.

There were two other musicians, both girls and both playing traditional instruments. Fiona played the fiddle and the other, Zelda, played the concertina. Both girls were also younger than me at 20 years old.


After listening to the music, it was the groups turn to learn. Our teacher, Zelda, showed us a few traditional dances and then attempted to teach us one.

I have to admit that I am musically challenged and lack rhythm so the dancing was not a success for me. But no matter how many times I messed up or got kicked by another classmate, I never stopped having fun. I loved every minute of it and jealously watched as the two Irish girls performed the dances with ease.

Watching Luke and the others perform, I realized how much of traditional Ireland never truly fades. There are kids like Luke who want to learn the traditions and there are places like the cultural center who want to teach them.

The benefits extend beyond Ireland as tourist like me get to experience the culture as well, and in turn share it with more people via Facebook, Youtube and, of course, blogspot.

No comments:

Post a Comment